Two Open Faculty Positions Announced



The University of Tennessee Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill two recently announced open Faculty positions. Both are 12-month, full time, tenure/tenure-track positions. One position is approximately 75% Extension and 25% Research position, while the other is 75% Research and 25% Extension. If you are interested in learning more about either position, please click on the Positions Available link on our main page for more details about these and other employment opportunities in our department.

Although our website serves as a good introduction to our department and it's programs, students, and Faculty, you may want to know more about Knoxville and the surrounding area. If so, allow us to further introduce you to this part of the country. Founded in 1791, the city of Knoxville is an important social, commercial and cultural center in the southeast. With a very pleasant climate (Avg 83 in July and 51 in December) it is no wonder that Knox County and the surrounding 5 counties have a population of 712,366 (2003) with Knoxville having 173,661. Home to the 1982 World’s Fair, Knoxville is known as one of the most beautiful and scenic cities in the United States. With the Great Smoky Mountains National Park within a 45-minute drive, along with an abundance of lakes and rivers, Knoxville residents have access to many outdoor recreational activities including hiking, boating, camping and cycling. Over 60 miles of greenways and walking trails compliment the approximately 6,000 acres of parks within the City of Knoxville. Knoxville is home to many national/international companies including cable TV's HGTV, Bush Brothers and Company, Petro's Chili & Chips, and Regal Cinemas.

The 2008 Guide to Best Cities for Relocating Families ranked Knoxville as the fourth best mid-sized metropolitan area in the nation. With its central location, more than 60 million Americans are within a day's drive of Knoxville. Knoxville is home to a rich arts community including the Knoxville Symphony, the Knoxville Opera Company, the Tennessee Children’s Dance Ensemble, more than 20 museums and many festivals throughout the year including the 17-day Dogwood Arts Festival. Pulitzer Prize winning author James Agee, author Cormac McCarthy, Poet Nikki Giovanni, author Alex Haley, zoo director Jack Hanna, director Quentin Tarentino, Dave Thomas (creator of Wendy’s), and musician Kenny Chesney have all called Knoxville home at some point.

For more information about Knoxville/Knox County and the surrounding areas please visit these websites:
http://knoxcounty.org
http://www.cityofknoxville.org
http://knoxville.org/
http://www.knoxnews.com/
http://www.metropulse.com/


Great places to see and things to do
http://www.tennesseetheatre.com/
http://www.knoxbijou.com/
http://www.knoxvillesymphony.com/
http://www.museumofappalachia.org/
http://www.thelostsea.com/
http://www.knoxville-zoo.org/
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t553
http://www.knoxvilleicebears.com/
http://www.ijams.org/
http://www.knoxart.org/
http://appalachianballet.com/
http://www.gatlinburg.com/default.asp


Local/State/National parks
http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/parks/
http://state.tn.us/environment/parks/
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
 
 

©Biosystems Engineering & Soil Science · bess@utk.edu · bioengr.ag.utk.edu · 865-974-7266